Thursday, June 7, 2007

{ Father's Day... I Know I'm Late! }

All images Copyright Stampin' Up!

Can you believe I forgot about father's day? I forgot about Easter too. Really out of the loop huh?

I always have a hard time with masculine cards so this card was definitely a challenge. It started off looking to childish, but I'm happy with the way it turned out! First I sponged the the edge of the base card with a bit of Brocade Blue ink then I sponged the entire face of it with Chocolate Chip ink. After I cut the Close to Cocoa layer I stamped a bunch of baseball images. I masked them off then sponged Chocolate Chip ink over the entire top, thicker on the edges as you can see. I used my WWCs with Future Floor Finish to lightly color in the images with a matte finish. Oh yeah! I forgot to mention! Last weekend I went to the Heirloom Rubber Stamp & Paper Art Festival.

My husband was wonderful enough to take me since I don't have any stamping friends out here yet. I got so many fun new toys and learned some great new techniques. That's part of the reason I haven't posted anything recently. I've been playing a lot with the techniques I learned. Me being the perfectionist I am can't post the "junk" I've come up with so far! Anyway, I'm sure you'll see some fun new stuff I learned there and see some of the great new stamps and products I got in the near future! At one booth a lady was teaching the use of Lyra watercolor crayons (for those that don't know Lyra makes SU's WWCs). I had to see what she was doing of course! One of the things she showed was water coloring with Future Floor Finish. Just like you would watercolor with an aqua painter use Future Floor Finish. It's awesome! The finished product is more of a matte finish and it doesn't soak into the paper. It's also much easier to get the color much darker! Anyway, it's hard to tell that I even water colored on this card, but I did and that's how I did it.

The ball was made with a Marvy Giga Circle Punch. First I stamped the "So Very" & "loved" images, then I punched it out, drew the markers and sponged the edges. The ball is popped up with dimensionals. Last but not least I added the ribbon and charms. Oh almost forgot, if you look very closely at the bottom edge I used white craft ink and a dashed blade to create a faux stitched look in about 5 seconds! Hope you like... I'm sure my dad will as he's a big baseball fan!



Recipe:
Stamps: SU So Very and Sporting Goods
Paper: Brocade Blue, Close to Cocoa, Whisper White
Ink: SU Chocolate Chip, Brocade Blue, Craft Chocolate Chip, Craft Real Red, Craft Whisper White
Embellishments: SU Ribbon; Misc Baseball Charms
Other: SU Watercolor Wonder Crayons, Dimensionals; Marvy Giga Circle Punch; Future Floor Finish; Misc Sponges

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I cant see the picture :( but the one you made for you FIL looks awesome! I want to do that watercolour and floor wax technique now! Ya I had a brain fart about fathers day too! I made cards for my dad and D's dad but forgot about D!!! oh well! theres still a week or so :)

StampHappy said...

What?? Fathers Day isn't this Sunday?? Woohoo! I'm not late! LOL. I don't know why I thought it was this Sunday. That's weird you can't see it... it's in my SCS gallery too. You can check it out there. Oh & thanks!

Anonymous said...

Oooh, I wish I could see the picture. Love your FIL card. My dad loves to fish and my husband is soooo into baseball (so am I.) Masculine cards are so hard and you did a great job with the Angler set.